Written by: Lindsay Sowder, MA, LAC, NCC
Setting healthy habits keep you feeling motivated, create a sense of accomplishment for each day, and increase your confidence overall!
You might want to start off by asking yourself these questions:
- What about your current routine do you dislike?
- Why do you want to start a healthy habit?
- How will your new habits help you achieve your long-term goals?
Here are 3 tips for starting a healthy habit:
- Start small!
- It’s important not to overwhelm yourself with too much at once. Choose something small to start with and stick to it!
- Be patient with yourself!
- When it comes to starting a new habit or routine it’s easy to get stuck in what we call “All or Nothing thinking”. In other words, if you miss one day you fall off the wagon completely. This is a MYTH that we tell ourselves that gets in the way of us being successful! If you miss one day, that’s alright! Every day is a new day, get back on it tomorrow!
- Seek support!
- Find a family member or friend who is trying to incorporate a healthy habit into their routine and hold each other accountable! Touch base with each other every day, send words of encouragement, and check-in to make sure you’re both staying on the path to healthier habits!
Some healthy habits to get your started:
- Waking up earlier
- Morning meditations
- Daily affirmations
- Taking a daily walk
- Drinking more water
- Making your bed every morning
- Stretch or do a simple yoga routine
- Read a book or news article each day
- Drink herbal tea before bedtime
- Journal some of your thoughts or feelings
- Prioritize tasks for your day
- Cook yourself a healthy meal
- Clean or organize a small area in your home